26 December 2015 China
China has effectively expelled a French
journalist over an article she wrote that was
critical of Beijing's policy towards Muslim
Uighers in Xinjiang.
Beijing confirmed it would not renew press
credentials for Ursula Gauthier, of the French
news magazine L'Obs.
It said an article she wrote about the unrest in
Xinjiang supported "terrorism and cruel acts"
that killed people.
Ms Gauthier called the claims "absurd" and
said Beijing was trying to "deter" foreign
reporters in the country.
If her press card is not renewed, Ms Gauthier
cannot apply for a new visa, and will have to
leave China by 31 December.
She would be the first foreign journalist to be
expelled since Al Jazeera correspondent
Melissa Chan in 2012.
China blames the long-running unrest in
western autonomous Xinjiang region on
Islamist separatists, many of whom it says
have foreign ties.
But Xinjiang's ethnic Uighurs, most of whom
are Muslim, say Beijing's repression of their
religious and cultural customs is provoking
the violence.
Ms Gauthier published her article after the
attacks in Paris in November, suggesting
China's solidarity with France might have an
ulterior motive, to justify its own crackdowns
in Xinjiang.
The article triggered condemnation from the
Chinese government and state media who
demanded an apology and retraction from her.
China's foreign ministry on Saturday
confirmed it would not renew Ms Gauthier's
press card, saying she had failed to make a
"serious apology" to the Chinese people and
was no longer "suitable" to continue working
in the country.
"China will never support the freedom to
champion terrorism," it said.
The foreign ministry complained of a double
standard whereby tough action in the West is
called anti-terrorism but in China is described
as the repression of ethnic minorities.
But Ms Gauthier called the accusations
"absurd" and said she was being asked to
apologise "for things that I have not written".
She told the Associated Press she feared the
move was "only meant to deter foreign
correspondents in the future in Beijing".
Hey, Everyone. A First ever ZM Music Theme for Blogger with MP3 Player Designed By ZMTemplates.com, So You wana Bet?.
A Christmas Day bushfire has desroyed more than 100 homes in Austria
A Christmas Day bushfire has destroyed more
than 100 homes in Australia's Victoria state,
officials say.
Officials said 98 homes had been razed in Wye
River and 18 at Separation Creek. No injuries
are reported.
Hundreds of firefighters have been battling the
blaze along the famous Great Ocean Road in
Victoria's south-west, popular with
holidaymakers.
A change to cooler weather and rain has
greatly reduced the threat, but some
emergency warnings remain in place.
Some 1,600 residents and tourists from the
popular tourist spot of Lorne were evacuated
on Friday amid fears that a wind change
would push the fire towards the town, but
were allowed to return on Saturday.
Many of those forced to leave their homes had
to spend Christmas night in hastily-arranged
shelters.
More than 500 firefighters, 60 tankers and 18
aircraft have been involved in fighting the
flames.
Victoria Emergency Management
Commissioner Craig Lapsley said they were
"working around the clock to bring this fire
under control".
He warned that although the immediate threat
had eased, the fire had the "potential to burn"
for weeks to come.
'Dropped everything'
Thousands of tourists typically descend on
the area in the days after Christmas to visit
coastal towns.
But many residents and holidaymakers were
forced to flee, as festivities were abandoned
when the scale of the threat became apparent.
"They (residents) were all prepared, putting
their barbecues on, they were cooking away,
and all of a sudden they could see the smoke
coming over the hill," local resident Patrick
Carey said.
"They thought it was still four hours away
according to what they'd heard. And then all
of a sudden it was an hour away, and all of a
sudden it was half-an-hour away. So, they
just dropped everything, stopped cooking and
hopped in their car."
Anyone still planning to travel to the area is
being asked to check emergency warnings and
to avoid the Great Ocean Road if possible.
The Falls Music and Arts Festival, which is
held annually near Lorne, may not go ahead
because of the fires, its organisers said.
The fire began with a lightning strike on 19
December and has been fanned by strong
winds and intense heat in recent days, burning
across 2,200 hectares (5,437 acres) so far.
Victoria is one of the most fire-prone regions
in the world.
Many bushfires are started by lightning
strikes, while others are sparked accidentally
by campers or discarded cigarettes.
Some are the work of arsonists.
In 2009, more than 170 people died in
Victoria during Australia's worst ever bushfire
disaster.
Top 25 richest people in Tanzania
1.Said Bhakhresa
2.Subhas Patel
3.Fish Owner Mwanza
4.Rostam Aziz
5.Oilcom Owner
6.Yusuf Manji
7.Tunil Somaiya
8.Mohamed Dewji
9.Precision air
10.Tigo Owner
11.Reginand Mengi
12.Zantel Owner
13.Mh. Mkono 14.Air Tanzania 15.J. Patel
16.Mh. Chenge
17.Mh. Lowasa
18.Mh. M. Shabiy 19.Mh. M. Abood
20.Kilimanjaro Owner Arusha
21.Total Owner
22.Freeman Mbowe
23.Tarimba Abbas
24.Cello Plastic Owner
25.Twiga Cement Owner
|